This is the third post in my Summer Office-wear series. Learn how to dress for the heat and still look professional! Check out the other posts: Summer office-attire shopping guide and Lightweight blazers.
Skirts are perfect for the office and the heat. I suggest having at least one colorful option for the Summer that you can easily mix and match with neutrals. You’ll want to choose a solid color or pattern that has staying power – one you will not tire of quickly!
Here’s how you can make the most of your colorful skirt at work:
1. Pair it with neutral colored tops: Most colors go with black, white or grey so you can easily pair your neutral dress shirts and work-appropriate sleeveless tops. All of the pencil skirts shown below can be worn with black, grey, or white tops (One exception: I wouldn’t pair the pink with black).
2. Wear with a black and white graphic top. If you want to add a pattern to the mix but you’re nervous about making sure it matches, stick to black and white. Check out these examples for inspiration:
3. Choose a quality fabric– It may be tempting to buy a cheap, thin jersey skirt so you’re comfortable and cool, but they tend to look less professional. Stick to sturdier, well-made woven skirts or thicker knits like ponte.
4. Choose length carefully – It almost goes without saying that you’ll want to choose a work-appropriate length. A general rule of thumb is to not go higher than 2 inches above your knee, but I find that shorter women can get away with shorter skirts because they have less skin exposed compared to taller women. You’ll also want to make sure you can sit down without feeling uncomfortable – skirts often ride up when sitting.
5. Wear it with a denim shirt – Denim shirts act as a neutral and go with most colors. If you choose a well-fitting, wrinkle-free shirt, you can wear it to the office. I love the look of denim collared shirt in a business casual environment as it’s a nice mix of casual and formal. However, if you work in a conservative office a denim shirt may be too casual. Love the blue with yellow options below:
Outside of work: After hours, you can get more wear out of your skirt by throwing on a t-shirt or tank top. It’s a quick way to make a pencil skirt look more casual and comfortable. Add a necklace and sandals and you have an easy Summer outfit.
For those of you with small closets or mostly neutral wardrobes, buying a colorful skirt may seem too bold but with the right choice it can be an incredibly versatile item – worn at the office and after work. Keep an eye out for one!