With downtown Seattle being the Nordstrom headquarters and the flagship store, the city is buzzing about the famous Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, aka NAS. It’s a fun sale but it can be overwhelming so today I’m providing an overview to get you started. I’ve shopped this year’s sale and had several NAS client appointments so far. Over the next 2 weeks I’ll be sharing my favorites with you – from boots to jackets, accessories, plus-size, petites, there’s a lot to cover!
For those of you new to the sale, there’s a reason it’s so popular! Let ‘s go over the basics:
- Sneak peek into Fall season – Most of the clothing, footwear, and accessories are for the upcoming Fall season. This sale provides a hint at what is to come in terms of colors, trends, silhouettes, and styles. Very fun!
- Huge selection – There are currently 2,856 items for up for sale this year, ranging from boots, jackets, accessories, plus-size, petites, jewelry – you name it. There is something for everyone.
- Discounts on quality items – This sale is a truly amazing opportunity to save big on expensive, quality items such as boots, leather jackets, designer bags, and coats. These pieces usually cost a pretty penny but with 10-35% off, you can save hundreds during this sale.
- Nordstrom customer service – I don’t need to rave about Nordstrom’s world-famous customer service, but it just another reason to shop this sale. Sales associates will help you pull items, find items that you saw online, and generally be attentive and helpful. Nothing is better than Nordstrom!
- Shop early access – If you’re a Nordstrom cardholder you can shop early access. What does this mean? You can get a head start on the sale before it opens up to everyone. You’ll be more likely to get items before they sell out. This is important for those of you who wear uncommon sizes (For example, petites, small or large size shoes). You can shop early access online or in-person. To shop online you’ll need to log on to your Nordstrom.com account to view the sale items. In person, you’ll want to set up an early access shopping appointment with a sales associate. They will walk you through the sale. This is done for personalization and to ensure that only cardholders have access.
- Overcome FOMO (Fear of missing out) – One of the more stressful aspects of the sale is its sheer size. I find clients want to shop all the departments and see everything in fear that they’ll miss out on an amazing deal. I recommend that you focus on shopping for items that you really want/need and then move on to browse the rest if you have time. It can be overwhelming and inefficient to shop through every department – save your energy to make smart choices on the items that matter!
- Overcome sale goggles – At every sale there is a danger of being swept away by the sales deals. Remember to ask yourself – Would I buy this if it wasn’t on sale? If the answer is no, do not buy! I repeat, do not buy!
- Stock up on basics – Not only can you save on expensive, quality designer goods, this is also an opportunity to save on basics: underwear, bras, tank tops, socks. These are boring to shop for but they are the foundation of your wardrobe. Nordstrom has great, quality basics that can be on the slightly pricey side but at this sale the price points are excellent. Take advantage of this!
- Enlist an associate – Whether you shop early access or not, consider requesting help from a sales associate. Not only will they help while you shop, if you contact an associate ahead of time you can email them a list of items beforehand for them to pull for you. Don’t hesitate to use their assistance. This can save you so much time!
- Shop online – Some sales items are online exclusives that you won’t find in stores. They’re clearly marked as such online. Also, your Nordstrom store may not have the items or sizes you’re looking for. Go online and see if your item is stocked. And if it’s not, check back regularly because the stock changes quickly. Sometimes items are replenished and returns also become available.
- Shop off hours in-store – Understandably, the weekends are the craziest times to shop the sale. Consider stopping by after work or taking a long lunch break. If you have the flexibility to go during the day during a weekday, by all means do that!
With these tips, you’re ready to get started with shopping NAS! Have fun and stay tuned for my picks of this year’s sale in upcoming posts!